Wednesday, September 12, 2007

one...more...second....

It's been tough to get online here. Currently piggybacking on the spectacularly awesome 0% signal from the neighbor's house cuz my family's device won't let me in even with the password.

Anyways, wow, Tokyo rocks. It's not like we didn't expect that, but I love it. Trying to figure out why I don't live here. I really should, probably.

The airplane ride was really long...basically. I don't have a very good attn span so I read Otaku USA issue 2, Sherlock Holmes, tried to watch a couple different movies, failed to sleep much, ate a bunch of plane food (not bad, though!) and forgot to play Pokemon. Unfortunately, I was seated next to one of the very few American people on the flight, but I guess they were nice at least. I was hoping it would've been one of the cute little Japanese girls, though.

Chris met me at the airport and helped me get my crud together which is great. I have a cell phone and we rode the bus down to Shinjuku where I met my host mom. Before that, though, we had tons of time to kill so we went shopping a bit, played a couple rounds of Taiko no Tatsujin, had tea this awesome Starbucks rip-off joint, and people-watched. Heard some good street music, too. Way better than the sax guy on the way home from Live-Action club.

My host family is awesome. I thought the dad would be home but in fact he was here last night and went back to Shanghai this morning. Yukiko, my host mom, is really nice. She bought Chris and I dinner before getting a taxi to take me back to the house. Toru is adorable and ever since I showed him Gamma Bros. on my computer he has warmed up a lot. We speak Japanese. I might ask if I can go to school with him one day next week, just to see what it's like. I've always been interested in Japanese schools.

Had a super Japanese breakfast. Veggie soup with hot dog like sausages in them (the correct term is totally "wiener" but seriously, how can I say that in English?), tonkatsu sandwich, left over chinese food, pickles, and tea. Tons of food, just like last night at dinner. I can never eat it all @_@ but it's so tasty.

The plan for today is to get some work done this morning for as my connection will hold out and then explore the neighborhood this afternoon. Toru gets home from school at 5 and I definitely want to be here to play with him. Then we will have home-made curry for dinner. So excited! I think there is a trip planned for this weekend, too. Anyways, I'm gonna go have a shower now, I think. Hum hum. I'm also going to try not to blog tooooo much. Probably just a bit in the morning after everyone leaves the house before I go out. I want to makesure I'm out doing stuff more often than at home writing about it ;D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If their Japanese food tastes better than stritch Japanese food you're in good standings...

That's a joke.

But seriously.

You going to get to stay in one of those tube hotels you showed me? That might be cool.

Don't get cloned,
Eric

BadMonkey said...

Finally made it to Japan eh? How awesome is that? I second Eric's suggestion that you stay in one of the weird tube hotels; although I suppose having a host family does make that kinda redundant. Try to blog a bit, just so we know what you're up to!

Anonymous said...

so im kinda bummed that you didn't even CALL me before you left for Tokyo..but whatever. I guess I can forgive you. I'm so jealous right now. The food here is awful too, so you should feel happy to know that you are living it large in comparison to your two younger siblings. college food bites. Anyways - glad to hear that everything is going well. Toru sounds awesome, and that'd be cool if you got to go to school with him. You'll have to take loads of pictures..cuz I wanna see!!

Oh and btw - that linguistics class you told me to take is kicking my ass.

Eat Rice.
Eva

Emily said...

hahah blogger automatically translates itself to Japanese so all of your things have "san wa kakimashita..." after it, except in actually Japanese...

Brother - No tube hotels. I am so poor! Everything is expensive.

badmonkey - HI! Long time no chat. I`m going to try to blog regularly,but it will be easier once I have my comp up. Then I can have pix too.

No tube hotels ;D

Sister - The food is toooooo good. I`ma get fat. You don`t have to TELL me to eat rice. It`s just what you do here. Also drink tea. Everything is awesome. In my next post which I will write momentarily I will recount our adventure at kyuushokutoban.

Also, it`s good to kick your ass with smart things.

College food DOES suck.

Sorry I didn`t call you. I figured you and Eric would both be in class, so I called other people who didn`t answer their phones either (for the most part...)