Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Yamanakako Vacation

Our vacation began a little later than planned on Saturday. I guess we missed the train or something, so we took the bus after having lunch up on the 8th floor of the Keio dept store (if I'm not mistaken...) In fact, lunch was rather interesting. I ordered something like yakisoba. They asked if I wanted harder or softer noodles, and figuring they meant something like al dente, I went with harder. But they were crunchy! It was super tasty, though, not like eating uncooked ramen or something. Anyways, here's the bus ;p



I played some videogames and looked out the window. Nice scenery, very hilly. Some good views overlooking some towns and places, but it was hard to get any good pictures since we were moving.



Before heading over to the hotel we had some ice cream at this that we actually ended up returning to on the last day. It was really good and they had 40 flavors to choose form. I decided I should try something new, so I had sweet potato ice cream and let me tell you, I really hope I can find it in the states. Soooo good. The cone was less sweet than American cones, but still quite tasty.

The place we stayed at was a REAL LIVE RYOUKAN! So it's a more traditional style. Check out the lobby:



This is what you see as you walk in. Actually, in the entry way on your left there is a board that lists all the families staying there in really nice script. THEN you see these buddha bellies, so you rub them for good luck!



A UFO catcher and a couple games are on the back wall. Nothing terribly exciting. Lots of the lobby was also set up as a gift shop. Toru got a cute little Ninja keychain with body parts attached with stretchy string so he could flip him all around. I looked at some of the Mt. Fuji keychains they had, but I'm glad I waited because I found a really cool one later.



The other side of the room was set up with lots of souvenier food like little cakes and pastries with blueberries and things in them. Behind those mirrored doors is the dining room where we had breakfast and dinner.

I wish I wouldn't have forgotten to take a picture of the food. It was pretty amazing. Japanese portion sizes are small (sometimes) sure, but if they give you TEN (not exaggerating) plates-- plus rice-- then you're not really coming out ahead of the rest of us. They fed us beef, chicken karaage, fried fish, baked fish, okra salad (with maybe some fish...I think), uhm...fruits like apple, mango, melon, pudding, omanjuu (which is, I guess...sweeet rice (mochi) filled with whatever sort of thing...in this case mango custard), uhm what else...little biscuits or things with fish, so many things!!!

Breakfast was always a buffet with things like curry, omlette, salad, bread, dumplings, meatballs, mini hot dogs, miso soup, etc. All the food was good.

Of course, when you enter the room you have to take your shoes off:



I think to be totally correct they're supposed to be facing toward the door so you an step into them easily, but none of us managed to do this. I don't really feel like squishing the heels of my shoes, anyhow...
This is Toru playing my DS, but also the best picture of the room I have.



You can see the furniture anyhow-- a low table on the tatami mat floor with cushions and arm rests, but then by the window there's a higher table. There's also a fridge over there with cold drinks. I think Toru had like 4 Pocari Sweats (which is sort of like Gatorade...)

The view from our window was fantastic. Shirai-san asked specifically for one facing the lake:



Anyhow, so we went to dinner and had all this amazing food and what I knew but had sort of forgotten until that moment was that when you go down to eat at a ryoukan, they come up and get the room ready for sleeping in. So when we got back the table was on the side of the room and three futons were out with really fluffy comforters.

So fluffy, that we decided Toru decided we should play a bit:



Ok, more than a bit. We did some serious rough housing:



which, I rather enjoyed. I haven't really knocked around so much like that since I was a little kid. Basically Toru would hide in the blankets and then I would pick him up with all that padding and chuck him around the futon mats. Shirai-san kept saying how strong I am ;p We made a Toru fajita, too:



which also got thrown around. Lots of jumping and rushing and falling down. Very fun. One time he managed to bonk me really good with his head, though, so I have this barely visible (only when you're really looking for it) bruise on me cheek bone. Ouch @_@

Anyways, that tuckered us both out pretty well, so I guess that was the point.



The next morning looked like this!!!



But I think I'll save the next day for another post because I think (/hope) it's time for dinner soon...

No comments: