Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Doing my homework

and regretting that ice cream crepe. But ok, let me explain this, first. We'll start with the good bit--I managed to find Tokyo Tower!!

Took the Yamanote line to Hamamatsucho and didn't recognize on the map where I was going at all. So I basically decided to walk in what I felt could possibly be the right direction and be satisfied with just the walk, if nothing else. It is wicked hot today. I nearly bought some sun screen (hiyaketome--sun grill stop) at a convenience store, but it was 8 bucks for 30 ml...screw that. I just put my hood up and my sleeves down. Ugh. Hot.

So I walked and sure enough, I was smart and ran straight into a nice intersection with a cool view of the tower. That said, the tower is not really that cool looking...at all! Nothing like this, for example:



I have some pix, which you will see later. Didn't have time to actually go up to the observation deck (much less the super special even higher deck), and it's rather expensive, as you can imagine--almost nine dollars. It was a good day for it, so I'm almost sad, but not really. There are a surprising amount of attractions up there somewhere, too, like an aquarium, wax museum, arcade, curry restaurant, but I didn't really feel inclined to visit them, so it wasn't upsetting that I had to leave.

So here's the story of how I ended up eating dessert for lunch...again...sort of. Japan always entails complete mayhem when it comes to food, for whatever reason. I guess tomorrow we'll try to get on track. I was thinking an ice cream cone would be a good cap for the experience of being near-but-not-on-top-of Tokyo Tower. The sign said one of the options was blueberry, which sounded pretty rad, so I ordered one. And then I just sorta rolled with it when he said it came in a crepe and not a cone. And then I saw that it wasn't actually blueberry ice cream, but vanilla with a huge dollop of blueberry...jam? It tasted pretty great, but it was quite a bit more food than I had anticipated. Sorta which I would have just said nevermind when he mentioned the crepe, heh. Ohhhhhh well.

(Someone is sleeping in a cube nearby ;D)

On the way back I got a little off track, so I took the metro back instead of the JR line. Was pretty simple, though, and it took me to the same station, just entailed a lot more stairs (which frankly is totally fine with me. I wish I had a swimming suit and a pool haha) Didn't get lost on the way back to the hotel, which is another major victory.

That said, I haven't gone back to the hotel yet because I wanted to come and do a bit of research about the games I'm seeing tonight (at least the games they mentioned already). Yeah, that's right! I'm totally here for work, as you'll recall. That part of things will get kicked off in a little less than three hours, and I need a shower first ;p

No comments: