Monday, February 21, 2005

chinga chinga chooka chooka chinga chao

tick-ticka ticka tooka tooka ticka tao

lol

i've been listening to a bit much justin timberlake i THINK (if you know what song is in my head then you too have been listening quite a lot...maybe even more than me)

ah yes WELL the 18th that was quite a while ago wasn't it...

since then many happy and not so happy things have occured...does it have two rs...x_x

PATIENCE (*snicker*) i shall relate!! XD

sooooo friday night we had delicious curry and subsequently ended up at the louvre with ice cream inbetween...yes MORE ice cream...i've instituted a ban lol for at least a couple weeks. We almost skipped the louvre in favor of a movie but as it turned out we did both. We were only able to spend about a half hour at the museum cuz it was closing and then we walked back to the movie theater. Not everyone went because it was Friday so student discounts were not applicable. Emanuel was going to see a Spanish movie but oddly enough we ran into a group of people we know going to see Constantine so they saw that. I kept meaning to say that there were a couple girls in our group who were lucky enough to stumble upon the Paris premiere and SEE Keanu in all his...Keanuness? that should be a word...it's pretty...and where did he get his name?? i wonder how many people wish they were named Keanu...

I saw Le Fil de la Vie which I thought was a rather crumby translation for "Strings" Something more literal would've been more appropriate...but then what do I know. Anyhow it was a Danish Swedish UK Norwegian movie with all puppets in English (here with French subs ne). Not only was it done completely with marionettes BUT it was also ABOUT them. Basically they invented this whole culture (well two really...it's this war between the somebodys and the whatserfaces) based on the strings and whatnot...if you think about it too hard it might seem lame. I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't be interested at all. I thought it was interesting and it afforded some cool imagery...however to my dismay the last ten seconds or so pretty much destroy the whole thing...which is sad. If they would just cut it before that it would be decidedly better. You won't find any spoilers here tho...

ah yes and saturday i didn't go to chinatown...i tried to come update but the netcafé was closed. Then I hopped on the metro and went down to the Eiffel Tower-- to find the japanese cultural center which...that isn't what it's called...for some reason the actual title always eludes me. It was funny tho cuz when I got off the metro I just started walking to try to find the street and suddenly I saw Japanese things in the window and I realized I had wandered to the main entrance of the building. So it's conveniently RIGHT there.

This place is seriously my favorite place I've been here so far. The building is really nice and their bathrooms are nice. You can see out the elevators to the city XD..except when you go into the basement heh which is where the cinema is. Wow so it's really great. Did I already go nuts about the 50s and 60s anime fest they are doing? I really forgot o_o but I saw Le Chat Botté which is probably Puss in Boots in English (as opposed to the booted cat LOL). I guess one could describe this as zany. The basic plot is that Pero the swashbuckling cat is on the run from three other cats because he saved some mice once. He runs into Pierre who has mean brothers. Then he helps Pierre battle an evil sorcerer and save/marry the princess. It has a really insane theme song. I should try to find/learn the words. It talks about how he is always on his own in the end...a lonely cat after he helps the lovers get together. It doesn't SOUND sad tho...it sound manic LOL XD

The other wonderful thing about this place is their library. They actually have a lot of books in English and every book in there is either in Japanese or about Japan. Unfortunately you can't take out books without paying the fee to be a member of the club but they have nice tables with lamps and everything so it's inviting to people who want to spend all afternoon reading.

Saturday night I went for a walk with Emanuel and Emily. Something I have hitherto refrained from remarking upon is that these two BICKER like NO OTHERS. lol It's really bad. If they are together you KNOW they will be fighting about SOMETHING. They really like to be right, which is something I can understand, but their methods are winding and wearying. Everyone else just kind of has to stand by UNLESS you get involved...which I find myself doing but only to a certain extent. I think to take sides with either one would be a grave error, provoking an endless debate that would more likely than not just waste everyones time. As an example...the beginning of the evening was a debate about how many gloves Emanuel has lost since he's been here...first there was the confusion about pairs vs. single gloves and then an account of each losing to prove it but they were still at odds. I said, "You guys you do realize you're arguing about gloves right?" "I know I'm just trying to exPLAIN to him..." says Emily. Make no mistake I love these guys a lot but they are certainly a little nuts XD

On the way we stopped at this place for crepes and I'm so glad Emanuel and I decided to split one because they were the most gigantic crepes I have EVER seen in my LIFE. We got Nutella banana. Nutella, for those unexposed to its brilliance, is a chocolate hazelnut spread not entirely unlike peanut butter. It's a little more soupy than peanut butter...and more desserty. It goes well with banana on crepes.

Sunday was for the most part devoted to my homework altho I did do some laundry AND socialize a bit at the French toast party (where i ate little because it was unanticipated so lunch had already occured). It was a very loud party in Emanuel and Emily's at about...1 or 2 in the afternoon LOL. I left tho to go get into the homework which was a good thing cuz it took a really long time to do what I had planned to accomplish. Then I had to go to bed so I would wake up for this morning.

I went to the intro lit class this morning and disturbingly enough was lectured for an hour about what exactly the internet is...

*cough*

I think she realized that we all knew but felt the need to remind us...

cuz we surely didn't know what a search engine is...?

No worries. I don't think it is a class for computer illiterates. She wanted to show us some sites to help us research literature. So that was an admirable goal anyhow. I actually did learn some things too...like http is the protocol. HA. as opposted to ftp or some other things. Too bad she didn't elucidate protocol a bit more...that would've been more interesting than learning the three types of addresses there are online. (No really...an e-mail? a website? Wait this is too hard...)

I can't believe I'm still here. There is quite a bit of translation to be done at home. I guess I just wrote you the weekend omnibus. That probably should've been the title but I couldn't resist the crazy rhythm. XD

Tomorrow may hold for you another installment...that is if it doesn't hold too many Japanese library books for ME. hehehe *two-fingered victory* Justice and peace!! XD nyaa!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keanu is Hawaiian for "cool breeze over the mountains" which apparently you didn't know! Just as well I'm a geek who knows EVERYTHING. Well, everything geeky anyway ;p

Xavier said...

i'd die before i'd change my name to keanu. not because i love 'xav' so much, but because 'keanu' is sooo...icky.

Emily said...

Keanu is ICKY??? I think NOT my happy Xaberdee...I think not indeed lol It makes me think of a man with the head of a greyhound...kinda like that one Egyptian god. Haha I was joking with Steve that I should rename myself "chipmunk sitting on the mountain that the cool breeze is blowing over" and then go find Keanu and be like, "Look, our names! Fate!!" lol