Thursday, February 24, 2005

"In the early morning..."

I was awake instead of STUDYING and or SLEEPING lol

Yesterday that movie was super, albeit a little strange. Nordic people fighting monster and ice mammoth with large newly forged sword. Also featuring talking woodland creatures and sparkly- eyed ancestors of chibi children. Our hero, the boy who wears but a tunic, manages to save our singing sister of the monster who is under his evil power via the seemingly obligatory magic amulet. Yeah but really it was good...nice music too...

So THEN just read this and tell me how silly I am...I told Grég to meet me at the MCJP but overlooked the fact that, of course, the doors would be locked and we would only allowed to be let OUT. I realized this too late to do much else than hope he would be somewhere anyhow and count on my blue glasses to catalyze recognition, which he was and they did. So all ended up well. Incredibly well! He's super groovy. We discussed in French-English-French over his apple juice and my coffee. Turns out he actually works right near where I live. He was already going at it when I got on the métro this morning. x_x

But yeah I stayed up till about three am last night??? Why??? Certainly not to review for my Russian quiz hahaha. It was fun tho. I jammed with Emanuel and Dan and Kia and Glenda and who else...ohhhh Emily and Chris etc. They have an anime channel on their cable which makes me a bit jealous. Luckily I can go watch Japanese puppetry from the sixties for FREE tonite!!!! SO HA lol XD No I really am...I invited Grég because after all it is free...but haven't heard back yet.

This morning I had Russian and it went fairly well. She asked some questions about the story I worked on and I answered decently for the most part. Unfortunately the more technical bits of giving dates eluded me. It's nice tho because you get sort of a private lesson through your headset...

Unfortunately because I am stupid I left the photos for my new passport at home and had to go take a nap and shower before leaving again. Err....yeah so tomorrow I will finally accomplish that...hopefully. Really it was more the post office thing...I need an envelope and to get one of those you generally need a post office which I didn't have. Then there was also a line. I at least know where the place is.

Place de la Concorde is sparse.

In other news though I found a Japanese pastry shop where I am going to go after the passport place tomorrow...and oh I coined a word in French that is equivalent to "passport place": "passeporterie" It was a joke and it worked. I got a real live French person to laugh at a joke I made. It was sublime. TECHNICALLY it's not morphologically sound because if that were the case a "boulangerie" would be a "painerie" and that would just be wrong...but it was understood so apparently CA MARCHE

Uhm...ah yes it is nice to say "uhm" It is much prettier written than "euh" which is what you have to say in French. Another thing, which Emily and Emanuel like to make fun of, is the way people say "bah-oui" or "baaaah-non" Really the length of the "bah" isn't the point. The point is that it's there and it means they are making up their mind...or maybe they just feel like saying something...kinda like "mmm yeah" in English.

One thing I meant to comment on the other day was the enforcement of classroom order. In my small Russian grammar class I dunno if it's just that prof but she takes like five minutes to scold something that most of us weren't even aware was occuring. In other words it's kinda overkill sometimes. In big lectures tho it is just the opposite. Everyone talks and whatever they want. The profs have a mic and just kinda plow on and on, unless everyone starts shuffling at once when someone is trying to ask a question.

Hmm and people go to the supermarket with canvas bags on wheels...

There those were some interesting cultural observations for you.

I gave a dude a euro and ten cents in the subway today cuz he was jammin' away on a marimba. It was so good. Some people are mediocre but some people are really great. There is this one guy who plays the violin pretty scratchily but has an interesting singing voice. Yesterday tho, topped EVERYTHING because dude was in the subway with an electric guitar singing in a reroosterulous French accent. Well, it was only goofy because he was singing Pink Floyd's Shine on you Crazy Diamond..."come on you seen-airs" Also his singing voice was not that great. Then there was the fact that his guitar riffs weren't really in time for the most part either...I wonder if his hair was a wig...

Well ok I think I've gone on long enough for the time being...

Have happy, will travel...

("the ooooone youuuuuu loooooove")

No comments: