Tuesday, February 08, 2005

failure

to do many things yesterday.

For instance, after I managed to locate the slavic studies dept and get up the courage to knock on the door and then ten minutes later to get up the courage to knock on the door AND go in (which i found out is what you do rather than someone answer it) the secretary told me that i couldn't register for russian until next year. This was about the last straw because the only reason i was able to come to France in the first place is because I made sure I would be able to take Russian so I wouldn't fall behind. I hope she was lying v_v

After that I talk a rather uninteresting walk through the 17th district and ended up near the very outskirts so I found a métro station to head home. Before I left tho I decided to grab a panini. In this instance, my French utterly failed me. For some reason I convinced myself that ground (or shreaded, i'm not sure which) meat was chicken. I SAW the sign for chicken but said no this other thing is what i want. YEAH RIGHT. It was nasty.

Then I went shopping heh. I was not having a good day. What I learned though, is that having music coming through speakers in the room is much more cheerful (literally) than having it come through headphones. It's also less of a headache. Not to mention that it lets you sing to something in the shower in the morning.

The mall was pretty interesting. I was going to get ice cream but I didn't. I got enough stuff other stuff, like an adaptor that works. That first one I got was seriously fake or something. lol x_x My luck with electronic devices is not so hot.

I also bought a copy of The Economist which I actually have been meaning to do for months and months, eons really. I can't say I understand everything in it, but I understand SOME of it (hehehe!! *justice-filled laugh triumphs over former doubt of intelligence*) Technically I'd really like a subscription because it seems to me with these things that maybe you understand more the more you read...WHICH interestingly enough seemed to be the point of their slogan on the please-subcribe-to-us cards. "The more you read, the better it gets." Really though it's the better I get because hopefully I will gain some useful knowledge. I dunno. It seems like you have to know an awful lot before you even start trying to understand the news, like history, economics, poli-sci. I don't know very much about anything really. It's like Sergey was telling me what the stupidest of the stupid (stupid is his word heh) people in Russia have to know and I was like...hmm...kinda wish I knew what he was talking about...This is an ongoing crisis. It's depressing to be smart enough to know you don't know much about anything but not quite smart enough to know how to proceed from there. If I could find some good books I would read them, however now I am faced with the reality of almost exclusively French books. At the library I have been to the only English books they had looked like things that people bought for the plane on the way over and then donated...which...there are some good things. I dunno. I probably exaggerrate. haha...did I spell that wrong?

I should probably be getting on my way to la grande sorbonne to see if i can locate that magic wall. I'm beginning to think it's an urban myth...

I should go to MICEFA and see if they can get that slavic studie secretary to admit she was lying. lol If I can't take Russian I'm going to be in deep trouble. Well...not really. I'll just have to do an independent study which actually wouldn't be all that independent because Sergey and I are meeting twice a week for precisely such purposes as correcting homework and learning useful words like "alien" for me and "terribly" (in the sense of "very") for him...i also taught him "goofy" which is now MORE than just the name of a certain funny-looking Disney character.

He also taught me "fork" but I'll have to review...

Hmmmmmm...

You know it may technically be EASIER to just do an independent study. The only problem is that I was excited about having that class because it would be probably with almost entirely French students. I dunno.

*cry*

So it goes.

Today I got up later than I usually. Hopefully that will thwart the annoying and quite unneccessary late-afternoon nap. I'm really annoyed by that, but I just tend to run out of motivation by 3 or 4. *sigh* I think tonite I will go see a movie after I study a bunch. Gosh it's tuesday. I'm behind in my studying, due to the fact that I'm reading too much. Oh well.

here's to the magic wall *clink*

No comments: