Friday, April 22, 2005

chiiiii *spoilers for I, Robot*

So a fellow handed me coupons for Quick today. That may be an excuse to eat a couple of burgers in the upcoming weeks because they expire the 15th of May... You know though Quick isn't like Macdo. Their burgers are pretty thick lol

So here we go I'm gonna RANT are you READY? Do you have the patience to sit through this one? I'm sure some of you will agree with me!!! In fact I'm sure some of you are less lenient than me on the issue...but here goes: I saw I, Robot last night. Before you start criticizing my lack of resolution or whatever let me say first of all that it wasn't my fault. I was going to see why Brett wasn't in class yesterday and she wasn't at home so I knew she was probably at Clara's house and she was and they were watching the movie. Hence I missed the beginning so I hope that doesn't cloud my judgement. They explained everything. I watched from the part where SPOONER (ism? Like what kind of name is that? I'll save the complaining for later though...) is driving his car (MANUALLY FOR PETE'S SAKE O GOSH WHATEVER WILL THEY DO NEXT) and all the evil red robots jump on him and stuff. lol OK...the rule is always start with the good things before you sink in your poisonous fangs and shred it to pieces... Some of the action was good. I did rather enjoy watching armies of robots run amuck and trash the police station...etc. I also enjoyed the action movie dialogue such as *climax* "You SO have to die!!!" and "You shot at me with your eyes closed?" "Well it worked didn't it?!" (Yeah...she did hit the robot and not him...but still...heh) so yes redeeming qualities were present and I did not regret the experience on the whole. I can't still can't help feeling that if they were going to do Asimov they should've just DONE Asimov. I mean the robots are well and good and the three laws are cool but I miss the characters. I think The Caves of Steel would make a really great movie. I want to see Elijah Bailey!! You know Tom Hanks could've played him but maybe he's getting a bit old now. I don't remember how old Elijah was... Grrr it would've been so good!!! lol I don't like the silly "suggested by" business. You don't need a suggestion when you've got a movie right there!!! And Naked Sun would be really cool too. RAR RAR RAR RABBLE RABBLE

Today got off to a slow start because I woke up kinda late, well I woke up at 10:30 so I got 8 hours of sleep. Blah blah...I'm gonna go make a call on a babysitting job that is probably already taken and then buy a swim suit. Hopefully tonite I will go swimming but I dunno. Depends if it's open I guess...the pool I mean. It's smack next to my house so I might as well check it out. Supposedly it is cheap and o so healthy ne?

5 comments:

BadMonkey said...

What I want to know is, why buy the rights for something like that if you're not gonna use 'em? I mean its not like the public at large was crying out for an Asimov-robot movie, so all you achieve by buying the name is that you piss off the fans when you aren't faithful to the source material. On the other hand I did enjoy the movie (but you know I like a lot of crap!), and whilst it clearly has precious little to do with the original robot stories (aside from token use of the Three Laws), it does seem to have some resonance with modern corporate practice (but like most movies these days you have to look pretty hard to find the ideas, assuming there even are any, behind all that CGI). For all that the NS5's look like they were designed by Apple (they do! Sonny is SO a Mac...) the corporate practice behind the rollout smacks of Micro$oft... At the end of the day though, its a big, glossy action movie, with disgustingly blatant product placement, and its the first time Will Smith's saved the world in a couple years. Which can't be bad, can it?
The converse of this is, why do you want to see The Caves of Steel as a movie? You've read the story, probably more times than is healthy, so how does seeing it on the screen benefit you? Wouldn't it be better if novels were left as novels, and movies were actually made using talented screen-writers and directors who know how to make proper use of the medium? Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

I admit I never read any Asimov, but I think if you take Robot by itself, without any preconceived ideas about the book, it's a pretty good action flick. I liked it, anyway.
probably compared to the book it's not much to speak of.

Emily said...

I see your point but the thing is, movies or novels, it's just two different ways of telling stories. So if you tell the same story in two ways that's not really a horrible thing. It is fun to see Will Smith save the world too. I would also agree with Anna that as it's own thing it wasn't bad...but I still miss Elijah Bailey lol

BadMonkey said...

I wasn't suggesting it was a horrible thing to make a movie out of a novel, just a pointless thing. The author already told the story he (or she) wanted to tell in exactly the way he (or she) wanted to tell it, so why bother telling it again in another format? Why not just tell a whole new story?
Does any of that stop me wanting to see the Hitch-hikers movie, given the number of media its appeared in (novels, tv show, video game and stage play to name but a few) since the original radio show? No, it does not. I never said I was consistent did I?

Emily said...

you know i'm still worried about the hitchhiker's movie...altho i'm excited about arthur i think he will be perfect...marvin will be super...the rest i'm very very iffy about...lol and you know i don't even know if it's actually coming out here...supposedly yes...but i haven't seen any posters or heard anything...i will have to look into it...