Tuesday, April 26, 2005

"reading words is automatic and difficult to inhibit"

you know i'm not sure if that is the exact quote anymore cuz i read it a few hours ago, but it makes me want to call them up and see how exactly one WOULD inhibit someone from reading a word. cuz think about it...you never just SEE a word or just look at it. the meaning strikes you from the very first even if after that you admire the font or whatever. so i was reading Acts of Reading today...

lol

Gosh it feels so good to be studying!!! I haven't been in the zone for a really long time...like...HAHA SINCE SCHOOL STARTED. I study better when it's vacation :D Today the lady on NHK said "goran kudasai" so I did even tho it was baseball and I didn't really want to. She was just being SO polite that I HAD to watch it heh. They also had a story about the train accident. I guess 76 people are dead now. That is awful! I was proud of myself for understanding the kanji tho!! I'll have to look up the word later....Boy tho that book I'm reading is so interesting tho. It talks about all sorts of theories and experiments and things and then applies it to what the pedagogy should be. That is what I like!! It's so good when people try to figure out better ways to teach! If you teach me more efficiently I will be smarter!! XD

These two days I am making up for my missing of so many movies I want to see by seeing THREE. O_o I realize I can't make a habit of it but I really want to see them before they leave and none of these are American!!! :D I decided that I won't see anymore American or English movies (the obvious exception being STAR WARS cuz I will HAVE to see that ;D and maybe I "heart" huckabees cuz I missed it in the states...) you know if you go in the morning it's sometimes less than 5 euros :D which is ridiculous considering the student discount is usually 6.50 or higher :D

Last night I saw Léo...etc...I can't remember exactly the rest of the title and I dunno what they called it in English. The one with the white lion. ANIME :D and the VO which is so nice. Always the subs people!!! They roxxor!!! XD It was pretty good, but sort of alarming. Two little lions are born in the beginning the entire rest of the movie is spent killing EVERYONE off. I mean, seriously, just about. Lots of the death scenes were really bad too...at least the first few. Like you can't believe they're shooting the animal in the first place and you expect it to be sad but then it gets this crazy look on it's face and pops of the ground and falls really stupidly and you're like...but i thought that he was evil why is the shooting so fake? Luckily when certain other more important people die it is not sooooo lame. Altho...it was still odd lol

THIS MORNING I woke up early (which sadly yes 8 has become early but we're going to work on that...because now I study so the morning can be occupied like that) and went out to Bercy Village to see The Taste of Tea which is a REALLY GOOD Japanese movie. Really probably the best movie I've seen since Neverland. Very quirky tho. A very good way to spend the morning. It's just sort of a chunk of this family's existence I guess. Not really sure how to describe it. There is a awkward boy who likes Go and a little girl with a giant double of her who watches her when she is bored, a tendancy she seems to have inherited somehow from her uncle who is a sound mixer. The mom is a animator. There's a crazy rich mangaka and the dad is a hypnotist. The grandpa is really really strange lol but an animator as well. I would love to see it again. I'm sure I missed things. It was so awesome!! If it's playing where you are go forth and watch!!!! Or rent as I suppose the case may be...it's from last year...

Oh I was going to mention that I do think that Amy was indeed mistaken to the dismay of us all about the Hitchhiker's movie. It is just not coming out here. I checked yahoo cinéma and they don't recognize the french or the english title. I haven't seen any trailers for it here either or posters. There should be posters by now!! lol

Speaking of trailers...I saw the Ep III trailer at Léo yesterday!! How exciting! It looks awesome! I hope it will be *crosses fingers* For those of you who didn't know I was slightly disappointed with Ep II...I think that we're going to rent I and II before we go see III...according to Amy this is the plan. It opens a week after the Rufus concert which means a week after vacation is over!!

Yeah time is gonna fly. May will be half over by then!!! Star Wars is only a little over a week before the anime convention and I'm sure there will be stuff at the MCJP before then. And then if it's anime convention time it means my dad will be visiting and I will be switching apartments and wow it's all going to be OVER soon o_O lol

Just glad I'm studying again!!! :D

In an hour and a half I'm going to see (shockingly) the first French movie I'll have seen in theaters since I've been here. It's going to be really hard...reading French subs is one thing but trying to catch the words that just FLY out of these people's mouths is quite another!!! x_x I'll try hard. I heard this movie is great tho. I will let you know later...probably tomorrow!! XD

In other news it is RAINING. Temp is perfect. In fact earlier it wasn't raining and that was super glorious but now it is cloudy and wet...

So it goes I guess...

OH complaint!!! I bought some pocket pitas (they go really well with eggs or tuna) but holy cow they are NOT meant to be stuffing things in cuz they just fall apart!!! Unhappy! That was the whole point! Easy tasty sandwichs!! Point obliterated!!! *cry* lol

At the MCJP today I decided that my next reading assignment will be Keigo in Modern Japan. Hopefully this will be helpful or enlightening because that is what I've been studying!!! Honorifics! Tomorrow I have to copy some recipes that I think I can try because Thursday I have decided...is the day of SUKIYAKI :D ooh but i also have to go out to that evil library in the middle of nowhere and return those obnoxious books that are probably now overdue as well V_V grrrr

but wait!!! *flail* i need to end on a happy note!!!! X_O uhm uhm uhm *flail* I DUNNO!!! UHM...well i'm going to see the movie and then hopefully i will buy a phonecard cuz i forgot on the way here...maybe i will try to find one on the way to the movie and i will DEFINITELY get gummies! lol so there is your happy note! yummy gummy o_o

7 comments:

BadMonkey said...

Sounds like a crazy busy day!
You're absolutely right, you DO have to see Huckabees, I'm confident you'll 'get' it, and I'm also fairly sure you'll want to run out and buy the soundtrack too... The Sith trailer is absolutely fucking amazing, isn't it? Just prepare for more rubbish dialogue and an unbelievable love story, and then get ready for the light saber duel we have waited our entire lives to see! My little bitch of a brother will have already seen the movie in just over a weeks time. Lucky!

BadMonkey said...

As for "reading words is automatic and difficult to inhibit", well think about it. Yes you're right, you always 'read' the word rather than admire the shape of the letters, but even if you don't know the meaning of the word your brain automatically attempts to ascribe meaning to it from its context, even in languages you don't know or understand! I don't know if its a commonly held view or not, but some cognitive scientists I've read suggest that reading, and in fact the facility for language as a whole, is 'hard-wired' into our brains. Which is kinda crazy on one hand, but on the other it makes an awful lot of sense. I mean think how long it'd take to build the cognitivive structures and facility for language in every single human being through education alone, and more importantly how hit and miss that process would be. I don't really know where I'm going with this, so I'll stop now before I witter on forever...

Xavier said...

Umm I'm pretty sure you have to teach a person to read. But I don't know what I think that...Perhaps because we have reading class in grade school? I dunno. But on the other hand, in Frankenstein, the monster was able to read Paradise Lost and these metaphysical dissertation thingies, and that's kinda crazy. Especially when he just listened to those people talk for a long time. Somehow he was able to understand things, but maybe it's because it was an old brain, and the brain before had the information of all that stuff, and he just needed to unlock it. But then I guess that goes with what you said, that we have it all in our brain...*Yawn*

Is the movie Kimba the White Lion? I dunno, but that one is like 80s, and it's supposed to be just like The Lion King or something. Apparently Disney steals anime concepts. Like Atlantis is just like Nadia or something. But I dunno, cuz it just might be strange coincidences...

For example, I wrote a story about a boot washed ashore and torn to rags, and then we read a story about an angel that washes ashore and is torn to rags. There was even a crab in my story, and there was one in the other. Then I wrote a story about a guy that gets murdered by this one girl, but you don't really know if she did it, and someone goes to jail, but he is probably framed. And then the next day we read a story about a girl that gets raped and a guy is put in jail, and you don't really know if the girl framed him or not. And there was a court room case in mine and the other one. And then I wrote a story about Totoro, and I used dots to seperate scenes. And then the next day we read a story that's seperated in all these scenes and it uses three dots...

So! Coincidences can happen. I dunno if it's a rip-off...I dunno what I'm really getting at in this post. but whatever...

I'm listening to Tetes Raides. I really want to listen to the Emily song...

BadMonkey said...

You should hire someone to investigate those coincidences, they could be significant. :D

Anonymous said...

i can recommend dirk gently's holistic detective agency--they specialize in coincidences.

BadMonkey said...

I just did some checkin and the Hitch-hikers movie isn't comin out in France till mid-August, by which time you'll be home and it won't be in theatres anymore and you'll have missed it, whereas I'm gonna try to see it Thursday, or maybe Friday...

Emily said...

yes of course you have to teach someone to read but once the understanding is there that there are words and they mean things it is impossible to disconnect that was his point. AND the quote WAS exact. :D